Saturday, October 1, 2016

Post Primitivo



It's now been a couple months since returning from Camino Primitivo. There's always time needed to process a Camino and reflect on the journey. For most of the route I walked alone -- pilgrims have their own pace and itinerary, so coordinating walking partners didn't happen often. I found walking solo through the "The Original Way's" lovely landscapes to be a peaceful & contemplative experience, and it gave me space to think. I thought about how lucky I've been to walk previous Caminos with Dad and to create the ex-votos we've left behind on all the journeys. I thought about the international community of people we've met and the lessons the Camino teaches -- especially last year when learning to 'pack light' made it much easier to downsize and let go of belongings after the flood where I live. And I thought about the centuries of the Camino pilgrimage tradition & its present resurgence. The concept of experiencing a 'walking journey' has indeed taken root and blossomed in modern times, from the Camino in Spain to the Pacific Crest Trail in the U.S. to other walking paths around the world gaining popularity.

The day after getting back to San Diego I received an email from a woman named Debbie who had heard one of my Camino presentations several years ago. It was at a local library & raining that day (unusual for San Diego!). Just a few people showed up, including Debbie & her husband who were interested in going on pilgrimage. I remember sharing information with them and talking about their travel possibilities. Three years later, she sent the message to let me know they were about to embark on a journey to Canterbury and Lourdes. Knee surgery and other things had been done first, and now they were about to leave.

Her note reminded me that the idea of going on a walking journey often takes time to percolate, as it had many years earlier after I first heard about the Camino. Seeds are planted, and the 'preparation journey' begins. It may require a period of time to get ready, but the 'call' has been sounded. The call becomes louder until plans are finalized, tickets booked, and finally feet hit the dirt. During this period there can be many people who contribute to the preparation -- family, friends, & mentors who participate in the process.  

During the walk, I received the sad news that my graduate advisor, Fr. Michael Morris, had passed away. Fr. Michael was a Dominican priest and beloved professor whose passion for art and teaching inspired decades of students. In his iconography class I created my first ex-votos for the final class project and am grateful for his enthusiasm and encouragement during my studies. On the Primitivo, I often thought how much Fr. Michael would have enjoyed seeing the Camino's rich art history encountered daily. His 'pilgrim spirit' will be missed.

While piecing together the blog from photos and notes, I thought about the many memories that were made. I'm thankful for having had the opportunity to explore more of Spain and for meeting fellow walkers and Spanish locals who became my Camino community. The blog shows glimpses of the people, landscapes, art & architecture, animals, and ex-voto moments along the Road.

Until the path calls again, Ultreia et Suseia! Forward & Upward!



Primitivo sellos 



No comments:

Post a Comment